Dear campus community,
Yesterday, Governor Pritzker announced a state-wide order to shelter-in-place. The shelter in place mandate calls for Illinoisans to stay inside their homes and away from others in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19, and to only leave for essential reasons. By order of the Governor, educational institutions, like St. Augustine College, are partially exempt from this order. Students in Illinois are permitted to travel for purposes of distance learning, but they are not permitted to be on any St. Augustine College campus or at any St. Augustine-owned site until further notice. St. Augustine faculty and staff are allowed to be on campus to deliver and/or support online and distance instruction provided that appropriate social distancing is maintained. Following are directions that I ask you to follow next week. Additional directions will be provided as they are developed.
During the week of March 23, 2020 – March 28, 2020, St. Augustine College will continue to open for essential personnel, even though the majority of students, faculty, and staff will not need to—and should not—come to the Main Campus or any other site. Students will continue their coursework online effective March 30, 2020. Faculty and staff are asked to continue their professional work through telecommuting, if applicable. However, anyone 65 years of age or older and/or who suffers from chronic conditions should not come to the main campus or any of St. Augustine’s off-site locations.
Below are the actions:
- To make sure that we maintain a secure campus, all St. Augustine College buildings will be closed effective today, March 21, 2020, at 5 p.m. for regular services. Since the State of Illinois has issued a “shelter in place,” only essential personnel should be in campus buildings
- The Main Campus will be open and accessible for all essential personnel beginning Monday March 23 – Friday March 28, from 9 AM – 5 PM. Essential personnel are defined as all employees who are involved in the delivery of online education; this includes: facilities maintenance workers, IT staff, faculty, online learning subject matter experts, and online learning support staff. Please expect additional information from your supervisor.
- Since March 23rd – March 28th is our scheduled Spring Break, faculty have already been asked to use this time to upload their coursework to Canvas, do a trial run course, and complete all distance learning technology trainings, and workshops required.
- Non-essential staff (everyone, except facilities maintenance workers, IT staff, faculty, online learning subject matter experts, and online learning support staff) must work remotely and may not enter the Main Campus or any St. Augustine site. Students are not permitted to be on any St. Augustine site at any time until further notice. For questions about facilities’ hours of operations, please contact Facilities.
Faculty continue to develop innovative ways to support student learning in this new environment. Effective March 30, 2020, all classes will be offered online. Faculty will continue to prepare to make this transition.
Students should contact their instructors, advisors, or program coordinator if they have questions or concerns about navigating online learning or are having difficulty balancing schoolwork with other responsibilities. If you have any questions, please consult the St. Augustine website for current information, advisories, FAQs, and resources, and check your email frequently. These are the two main communication channels that St. Augustine will use to keep you updated on how St. Augustine is responding to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Thank you and take care of one another,
Dr. Reyes Gonzalez
President of St. Augustine College
March 13, 2020
Dear members of the St. Augustine College community,
As we continue to monitor the Covid-19 situation, we remain committed to the safety and wellbeing of our students, faculty, and staff. We are aligned with other institutions of higher education and the Illinois public schools systems.
Here are the important facts I’d like you to know:
- Classes at all St. Augustine College sites and Main Campus will be cancelled effective Monday, March 16th.
- Spring Break, which was originally planned for April 6th – April 11th (Easter Week), has been moved up. Spring Break 2020 for St. Augustine College will now begin on Monday March 23rd. No classes will be held during this time.
- The Office of the Dean of Students, staff, faculty, administration, and the Office of the President continue to work on providing solutions to ensure your education is delivered uninterrupted. All the college services will be available during the time.
Additional information will be sent to you as it becomes available. If you have any questions, please email the Office of the Dean of Students at firstname.lastname@example.org or 773-878-8756.
Dr. Reyes M. Gonzalez