Meet St. Augustine's Dean of Academic Affairs, Dr. Andrea Koepke

What are your hobbies outside of work?

My family owns a lake house in north central Indiana and we spend many summer weekends and holidays at this home. While there, we boat, swim and engage in many other types of water sports. The granddaughters have learned to love the water and enjoy all of its opportunities.

Who is someone who inspires you in life?

I am inspired by my three granddaughters- ages 12, 5, and 1. I have seen joy, excitement, and wonder through their eyes as they experience new encounters, gain new skills, and explore life to the fullest. I am refreshed by their enthusiasm and delight in the world around them.

What is a motto that you live by?

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -Benjamin Franklin. This motto has guided my teaching methodology over the forty years I have been involved in higher education. So often it is tempting to stand in front of a class and just lecture but I realize this is just “telling” my students about the course content. It is only through active learning which involves students in the educational process will they truly learn the lesson.

If you could recommend one book to your students, what would it be?

I would recommend Barack Obama’s book entitled Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters, a book encapsulating the stories of 13 Americans and how they shaped the ideals of our nation’s history. It is about the potential within each of us to pursue our dreams and forge our own paths.

If you could have lunch with any historical figure, who would it be?

I would choose to have lunch with Florence Nightingale. My original education and a great deal of my academic experience have been in the field of nursing. Florence Nightingale was a social reformer, statistician, and the founder of modern nursing. She used data to support her theories and premises about patient care, always supported by her belief in the value of kindness, cleanliness, and diligence.

Final thoughts?

The opportunity to serve St. Augustine College has been a wonderful experience! Our students are seeking an education in order to improve their life circumstances and it is our job to remove the obstacles which may get in their way. We work for them and provide a high-quality education enabling them to reach their goals.